NASA's Johnson Space Center, White Sands Earn EPA 'Green' Honors

April 22, 2013

Sonja Alexander
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1761
sonja.r.alexander@xxxxxxxx

Linda Matthews-Schmidt
Johnson Space Center, Houston
281-483-5111
Linda.j.matthews-schmidt@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 13-113

NASA'S JOHNSON SPACE CENTER, WHITE SANDS EARN EPA 'GREEN' HONORS

HOUSTON -- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has
recognized NASA's White Sands Test Facility in Las Cruces, N.M., and
Johnson Space Center in Houston as Federal Green Challenge National
Award winners.

White Sands received the National Award for Overall Achievement for
outstanding efforts in 2012 to advance sustainability efforts and its
leadership in reducing the environmental footprint of federal
government activities.

"In 2012, concrete and asphalt debris piles were safely recycled into
10,712 tons of reusable materials," said Michael Jones, environmental
project manager at White Sands. "As an alternative to purchasing new
road base materials, WSTF now has reusable resources for future
projects," This truly was a team effort between the White Sands
facilities engineering, environmental and safety organizations."

Johnson was recognized for the highest progress over the previous
year. The center increased municipal solid waste composted from 16
tons in 2011 to 250 tons in 2012, which represents a 1,449-percent
improvement. Johnson grounds contractor ProDyn EPES LLC of Annapolis,
Md. is responsible for the compost pile.

"Through our composting program, we no longer need to purchase mulch
and compost, we don't have to pay to get rid of yard debris, and
we're reducing greenhouse gas emissions-- it's a win-win situation
all around," said Michelle Fraser-Page, recycling manager at Johnson.
"We're thrilled to be recognized by the EPA for our efforts to
increase sustainability."

These achievements were made while participating in the Federal Green
Challenge, a national effort under EPA's Sustainable Materials
Management Program. It challenges federal agencies to lead by example
in reducing environmental impact. Federal agencies are recognized for
outstanding efforts that go beyond regulatory compliance and strive
for annual improvements in selected areas.

"It's amazing what can be accomplished when incredible people at all
levels work together to make something happen," said Joel Walker,
Johnson's director of center operations.

In 2012, about 300 federal facilities, representing 500,000 federal
employees, reduced their environmental footprint in several target
areas, resulting in an estimated combined cost savings of more than
$31 million.

For more information on sustainability efforts at NASA, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/johnson

For information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx