Space Stars: Generations -- Lockhart, Shatner, Wheaton Videos Celebrate NASA Spinoff Benefits to Life on EarthSpace Stars: Generations -- Lockhart, Shatner, Wheaton Videos Celebrate NASA Spinoff Benefits to Life on Earth

Nov. 28, 2012

David E. Steitz
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1730
david.steitz@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 12-400

SPACE STARS: GENERATIONS -- LOCKHART, SHATNER, WHEATON VIDEOS CELEBRATE NASA SPINOFF BENEFITS TO LIFE ON EARTHSPACE STARS: GENERATIONS -- LOCKHART, SHATNER, WHEATON VIDEOS CELEBRATE NASA SPINOFF BENEFITS TO LIFE ON EARTH

WASHINGTON -- June Lockhart, William Shatner and Wil Wheaton are the
latest entertainment icons featured in new public service
announcements that highlight how some of NASA's outstanding
accomplishments in space are used to improve our life on Earth.

Spanning generations of silver screen and television portrayals of
humanity's exploration of space, the accomplished actors talk about
how science fiction has become science fact, resulting in new
commercial products and services that are tangible returns on
investments in space technology. Much of the technology we rely on
daily was developed by NASA for space exploration and then adapted or
enhanced for use here on Earth. This includes many technologies used
in schools, homes, cars, computers and American industry.

"It's an honor to have such talented space entertainment legends
donate their time to voice support for the spinoff benefits NASA
brings to the nation and the world," said NASA Chief Technologist
Mason Peck at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "As we turn science
fiction concepts into real technologies for use in NASA missions,
we're constantly creating 'spinoffs' -- commercialized products and
services that have practical, down-to-Earth applications of immediate
benefit to the public."

The new videos are the latest in a series of celebrity educational
videos aimed at increasing public awareness of the return on
investment in space technology while encouraging the next generation
of explorers to pursue careers in science, technology, education and
mathematics.

To view the new Lockhart, Shatner and Wheaton public service
announcements, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/PSA/index.html

In addition, hundreds of examples of NASA spinoff technologies and
innovations adapted for use in our everyday lives are available on
NASA's Spinoff website at:

http://spinoff.nasa.gov

For more information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx