NASA Awards Caltech Five-Year Jet Propulsion Laboratory Contract

Aug. 17, 2012

Steve Cole
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-0918
stephen.e.cole@xxxxxxxx

Veronica McGregor
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
818-354-9452
veronica.c.mcgregor@xxxxxxxxxxxx

CONTRACT RELEASE: C12-042

NASA AWARDS CALTECH FIVE-YEAR JET PROPULSION LABORATORY CONTRACT

WASHINGTON -- NASA has awarded the California Institute of Technology
in Pasadena a new five-year contract to manage the agency's Jet
Propulsion Laboratory (JPL). The contractor's primary mission is to
support NASA's Science Mission Directorate (SMD) in carrying out
specific objectives identified in the SMD Science Plan. The contract
is for $8.5 billion.

The contract extends the agreement between Caltech and NASA for
management of JPL beyond its current expiration date of Sept. 30. The
new contract runs from Oct. 1 through Sept. 30, 2017.

"We are very pleased to be continuing our partnership with NASA," said
Caltech President Jean-Lou Chameau. "Through this sustained
collaboration, we ensure that JPL continues to be a national resource
for space exploration, scientific leadership, technology and
discovery, as well as an inspiration for young scientists and
engineers."

NASA's only federally funded research and development center, JPL
conducts research expanding human understanding of Earth, the sun,
the solar system, stars, planetary systems, galaxies, and the
formation and evolution of the universe. JPL also manages NASA's Mars
Exploration Program, which currently operates two spacecraft orbiting
the Red Planet and two rovers on its surface, including the recently
landed Curiosity.

JPL's other responsibilities include support of NASA's applications,
space sciences, Earth science and other science programs. Spacecraft
managed by JPL have visited every planet in our solar system.

For more information about NASA programs and missions, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx