Will.i.am Narrates New NASA Spinoff Technology Public Service Announcement

March 28, 2012

David E. Steitz
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1730
david.steitz@xxxxxxxx
RELEASE: 12-099

WILL.I.AM NARRATES NEW NASA SPINOFF TECHNOLOGY PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

WASHINGTON -- Much of the technology we rely on daily was developed by
NASA for space exploration and adapted or enhanced for use here on
Earth. This includes many technologies used in schools, homes, cars,
computers and industry.

Musician Will.i.am talks about how some of the agency's outstanding
accomplishments in space are used to improve our life on Earth in a
new public service announcement made available Wednesday on NASA
Television and the agency's website.

The artist concentrates on NASA technologies that help increase
production of clean water, provide remote medical care and solar
electricity for refrigeration, and space technology that keeps food
fresh during its trip from field to market.

In addition to Will.i.am, singer Norah Jones and Astronaut Piers
Sellers, along with characters from the holiday movie "Arthur
Christmas," have appeared in recent videos telling audiences how NASA
Spinoffs benefit life here on Earth today.

"NASA's technologies don't just go into space," said Daniel Lockney,
program executive for technology transfer at NASA Headquarters in
Washington. "They work for us here on Earth, solving everyday
problems -- saving lives, creating jobs and making our lives better.

To view the Will.i.am and other public service announcements, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/PSA/index.html
Hundreds of examples of NASA spinoff technologies and innovations
adapted for use in our everyday lives appear on NASA's Spinoff
website at:

http://spinoff.nasa.gov
For more information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx