NASA Receives Clean Audit Opinion

Nov. 15, 2011

David Weaver
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1600
david.s.weaver@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 11-383

NASA RECEIVES CLEAN AUDIT OPINION

WASHINGTON -- NASA has released its Fiscal Year (FY) 2011 Performance
and Accountability Report (PAR), which provides a summary of the
agency's annual performance and financial information. This year's
report marks an important financial milestone for the agency -- a
"clean" audit opinion.

This is NASA's first clean financial statement audit opinion in nine
years.

"NASA's budget of $18.4 billion covers many complex programs to
improve national capabilities in space flight, science and
aeronautics," said NASA Chief Financial Officer Beth Robinson. "The
agency has worked hard over the past nine years to ensure that we
know where we stand with each program and have a firm footing as an
agency to pursue our future goals. This outside validation of our
efforts gives the taxpayers and the Congress confidence that we will
continue to keep America the leader in space exploration as we
responsibly manage their investment."

The auditor's opinion of an unqualified financial statement in Fiscal
Year (FY) 2011 asserts the agency's financial statements accurately
represent its financial position and operations. An unqualified
opinion is the highest rating that may be received from an external
auditor. The independent assessment of the agency's financial
stewardship of taxpayer resources demonstrates the agency's strong
financial foundation as it continues to launch cutting-edge science
and technology missions and prepares to embark on a new chapter of
exploration.

The PAR, which is required by Congress, helps measure the agency's
progress and performance in meeting its strategic goals. FY 2011 was
a year of remarkable change for NASA programs and activities. As the
agency retired the Space Shuttle Program after 30 years of flight, it
took critical first steps on a new path that will include commercial
capability for reaching low Earth orbit and crewed missions to deep
space.

Overall, NASA accomplished 88 percent of its performance measures, a
strong number given the risks and uncertainties associated with
spaceflight activities. While NASA lost the Glory spacecraft due to a
launch vehicle failure and experienced delays in some missions, the
agency also safely flew the final two flights of the space shuttle,
completed on-orbit construction of the U.S. elements of the
International Space Station, facilitated the first commercial cargo
demonstration mission, and launched the Aquarius, Juno and GRAIL
science missions. The year also saw a start up of a new space
technology program, which initiated many innovative technology
developments, and continued success in aeronautics research and
development toward the air transportation system of the future.

NASA recently unveiled a new strategic plan and vision with long-term
goals to guide the agency's activities and priorities over the next
decade while continuing its commitment to core values of safety,
integrity, teamwork, and excellence. The FY 2011 PAR highlights this
new strategic plan and provides important information on progress and
results.

For more information and to view the PAR report, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/news/budget/index.html

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx