The Challenge Is On: Robot Prize Competition Registration Opens

Sept. 19, 2011

David E. Steitz
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1730
david.steitz@xxxxxxxx

Eileen Brangan-Mell
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Mass.
508-831-6785
ebmell@xxxxxxx

RELEASE: 11-307

THE CHALLENGE IS ON: ROBOT PRIZE COMPETITION REGISTRATION OPENS

WASHINGTON -- NASA and the Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) in
Worcester, Mass., are seeking teams to compete in a robot technology
demonstration competition with a potential $1.5 million prize.

During the Sample Return Robot Challenge, teams will compete to
demonstrate a robot that can locate and retrieve geologic samples
from a wide and varied terrain without human control. The objective
of the competition is to encourage innovations in automatic
navigation and robotic manipulator technologies. Innovations stemming
from this challenge may improve NASA's capability to explore a
variety of destinations in space, as well as enhance the nation's
robotic technology for use in industries and applications on Earth.

"NASA's Centennial Challenges competitions engage teams from across
the country to solve the technology hurdles NASA faces as we explore
new frontiers," said Mike Gazarik, director of NASA's Space
Technology Program in Washington. "We're looking forward to teams
registering to compete, so they can unleash their creative
problem-solvers to take on this robotic technology challenge."

NASA provides the prize money to the winning team as part of the
agency's Centennial Challenges competitions, which seek
unconventional solutions to problems of interest to the agency and
the nation. While NASA provides the prize purse, the competitions are
managed by non-profit organizations that cover the cost of operations
through commercial or private sponsorships. The competition is
planned for June 2012 in Worcester and is anticipated to attract
hundreds of competitors from industry and academia nationwide.

"WPI takes tremendous pride in being the first university selected by
NASA as a partner for a Centennial Challenge," said WPI President and
CEO Dennis D. Berkey. "This university is a hub of expertise and
innovation within the area of robotics, and like NASA, we believe
strongly in the promise of this industry. Accordingly, we have
invested deeply in growing our programs and growing interest in the
field among young people. We are looking forward to an exciting
competition."

There have been 21 NASA Centennial Challenges competitions since 2005.
Through this program, NASA has awarded $4.5 million to 13 different
challenge-winning teams. Competitors have included private companies,
student groups and independent inventors working outside the
traditional aerospace industry. Unlike contracts or grants, prizes
are awarded only after solutions are successfully demonstrated.

For more information about the Sample Return Robot Challenge, visit:

http://challenge.wpi.edu

The Centennial Challenges program is part of NASA's Office of the
Chief Technologist. For more information about NASA's Centennial
Challenges and the Office of the Chief Technologist, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/oct

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx