NASA Names Terry Wilcutt Agency Safety Chief

Aug. 16, 2011

Beth Dickey
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-2087
beth.dickey-1@xxxxxxxx
RELEASE: 11-261

NASA NAMES TERRY WILCUTT AGENCY SAFETY CHIEF

WASHINGTON -- Terrence W. Wilcutt has been appointed NASA's chief of
safety and mission assurance, effective Sept. 1.

Wilcutt is a retired Marine colonel and veteran astronaut who is
serving as director of safety and mission assurance at NASA's Johnson
Space Center in Houston. He will assume the post from Bryan O'Connor,
who will retire from the agency on Aug. 31.

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden announced the appointment Tuesday.

"As NASA looks beyond the space shuttle to new programs of human
exploration, technology development and scientific research, we
remain committed to the highest standards for mission success and the
well-being of our work force," Bolden said. "Terry Wilcutt has more
than 20 years of experience in human spaceflight and safety, as well
as the integrity and courage necessary to lead what arguably is
NASA's most important support organization, the Office of Safety and
Mission Assurance, and serve as my conscience on issues of safety as
did Bryan O'Connor during our time together. I am delighted Terry
stepped forward to guide us safely into the future."

In his new role, Wilcutt will be responsible for the development,
implementation and oversight of safety and mission assurance policies
and procedures for all NASA programs.

"I look forward to continuing Bryan's work and to meeting the
challenges of the next chapter in human space exploration as well as
the rest of NASA's diverse portfolio," Wilcutt said.

Wilcutt joined NASA as an astronaut in 1990. He was the pilot on two
space shuttle missions, STS-68 in 1994 and STS-79 in 1996. He
commanded two others, STS-89 in 1998 and STS-106 in 2000. He served
as manager of safety and mission assurance for the Space Shuttle
Program, and as Johnson's deputy director of safety and mission
assurance before becoming director in 2008.

Wilcutt will maintain offices in Houston and Washington. For his
complete biography, visit:

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/wilcutt.html

For information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx