Astronaut Mark Kelly Announces Plans To Retire From NASA

June 21, 2011

Joshua Buck
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1100
jbuck@xxxxxxxx

Nicole Cloutier-Lemasters
Johnson Space Center, Houston
281-483-5111
nicole.cloutier-1@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 11-198

ASTRONAUT MARK KELLY ANNOUNCES PLANS TO RETIRE FROM NASA

HOUSTON -- NASA astronaut and U.S. Navy Capt. Mark Kelly has announced
his plans to retire from the agency on Oct. 1. He is a veteran of
four space shuttle missions.

"We salute Commander Mark Kelly and his contributions to NASA as an
extremely accomplished member of the astronaut corps and the final
commander of the space shuttle Endeavour," said NASA Administrator
Charles Bolden. "We deeply respect his achievements and his decision
to focus on his family. We continue to send out our thoughts and
prayers to Mark and his wife, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, as she makes a
remarkable recovery. We know that Mark will continue to do great
things for his country no matter what he chooses to do next. He has
helped us build a space program poised to take advantage of the many
opportunities in our bright future."

Kelly announced his retirement Tuesday on Facebook and via his Twitter
account. On Facebook, he wrote, "This was not an easy decision.
Public service has been more than a job for me and for my family." He
added, "I know that as our space program evolves, there are those who
will question NASA's future. I am not among them. There isn't a group
more dedicated to its mission or more capable than the outstanding
men and women of NASA."

Kelly commanded the STS-134 flight in May and STS-124 in 2008. He
served as the pilot on STS-121 in 2006 and STS-108 in 2001. He joined
NASA as an astronaut candidate in 1996.

For Kelly's complete biography, visit:

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/kellyme.html

To follow Kelly on Twitter and Facebook, visit:

http://www.twitter.com/ShuttleCDRKelly

and

http://www.facebook.com/Capt.MarkKelly

-end-