NASA Selects Summer Of Innovation Projects

May 04, 2011

Ann Marie Trotta
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1601
ann.marie.trotta@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 11-135

NASA SELECTS SUMMER OF INNOVATION PROJECTS

WASHINGTON -- NASA announced partnerships with nine organizations that
will help the agency implement its 2011 Summer of Innovation (SoI)
education program.

SoI uses NASA's out-of-this-world missions and technology programs to
boost summer learning in science, technology, engineering and
mathematics, or STEM, particularly for underrepresented and
underperforming students.

The SoI 2011 partners are:
- Chester County Intermediate School District-Unit 24, Downingtown,
Pa.
- Albany State University, Albany, Ga.
- Nebraska Department of Education, Lincoln
- Dorothy Jemison Foundation for Excellence, Houston
- University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho
- Puerto Rico Institute of Robotics, Inc., San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Rio Grande Valley Science Association, Edinburgh, Texas
- Indiana Association of United Ways, Inc., Indianapolis
- South Dakota Discovery Center and Aquarium, Pierre

"I am delighted that we have such a broad and diverse group of partner
organizations ready to implement this year's Summer of Innovation
program." said Leland Melvin, NASA associate administrator for
education. "We look forward to building on the momentum that began
last year, so we can engage and inspire even more middle school
students to reach higher and pursue STEM career opportunities."

NASA intends to award nine cooperative agreements for these SoI
partnerships that total approximately $6.75 million. Awards have a
period of performance of 48 months. The selected partners will engage
students during the summer with follow up during the academic year
through afterschool programs.

Awardees will develop strong collaborations between school districts
and informal education providers to excite and engage thousands of
students in high quality learning experiences. NASA also will support
these partner institutions as they engage local teachers in
professional development to support high quality instruction in STEM
disciplines.

NASA's goal is to increase the number of future scientists,
mathematicians and engineers, with an emphasis on broadening
participation by low-income and minority students.

For more information about the Summer of Innovation program, visit:

http://www.nasa/gov/soi

For information about NASA's education programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/education

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx