NASA Deputy Administrator Visits Colorado Innovation Sites

Feb. 5, 2011

David Weaver
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1600
david.s.weaver@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 11-035

NASA DEPUTY ADMINISTRATOR VISITS COLORADO INNOVATION SITES

WASHINGTON -- NASA Deputy Administrator Lori Garver visited Boulder,
Colo. today to meet with entrepreneurs and discuss innovations in
space exploration and technology development critical to America's
future in space.

Garver toured the facilities of Sierra Nevada Corporation, a company
with wide involvement in developing technologies for space
exploration. The company's Dream Chaser vehicle is under development
with support from NASA's Commercial Crew Development (CCDev) Program
to provide crew transportation to and from low Earth orbit.

"It's a pleasure to see commercial space making rapid progress in
Colorado," Garver said. "As NASA becomes more nimble, companies like
Sierra Nevada and others will help the U.S. out-innovate, out-educate
and out-build any competitor in the world."

As NASA focuses on a renewed program of technology development to
reach destinations farther in the solar system, it will continue a
vigorous program of human spaceflight aboard the International Space
Station and foster a growing commercial space industry with the
capability to produce jobs and economic benefits.

"We are extremely pleased to be working with NASA in the development
of our Dream Chaser Orbital Space Vehicle," said Mark N. Sirangelo,
head of Sierra Nevada's Space Systems Group. "The extensive
knowledge, terrific support and expertise NASA is providing have
enabled us to advance our program significantly. We are now ahead of
schedule and in production of our first flight vehicle because of
NASA and the CCDev program."

The NASA Authorization Act of 2010, passed with strong bipartisan
support, calls on NASA to pursue commercial access to space and
extend the life of the space station to at least 2020. Along with
these goals, the act directs the agency to open multiple pathways to
innovate and develop new capabilities for the exploration missions of
the future.

For more information about NASA's commercial crew and cargo
initiatives, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/c3po/home/index.html

For more information about Sierra Nevada Corporation, visit:

http://www.sncorp.com/index.shtml

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx