NASA Administrator Bolden's Statement On Today's International Space Summit

Nov. 17, 2010

David Weaver
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1600
david.s.weaver@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 10-303

NASA ADMINISTRATOR BOLDEN'S STATEMENT ON TODAY'S INTERNATIONAL SPACE SUMMIT

WASHINGTON -- NASA Administrator Charles Bolden issued the following
statement after participating in today's Head of Space Agencies
Summit in Washington:

"This year, the International Academy of Astronautics is marking the
50th anniversary of its founding in Stockholm, Sweden. I congratulate
the academy for its dedication during the past five decades in
bringing the world's experts together to discuss and promote space
research and exploration. I also want to congratulate the academy on
supporting today's Heads of Space Agencies Summit.

"More than two dozen leaders attended this meeting to discuss issues
almost all countries are grappling with, such as changing national
priorities and stagnant budgets. NASA has been actively working with
many of the space agencies attending the summit to further our common
understanding of exploration and establish global partnerships.

"NASA recognizes that exploration beyond low-Earth orbit will involve
the coordination, cooperation and support of other countries. This
theme of international coordination has been the purpose of
developing a global exploration strategy, which many of the countries
represented at the summit actively support. It is my hope that more
countries will become supportive of this cooperative dialogue and
adopt a global exploration roadmap. With a roadmap in place, the
participating agencies and their countries will benefit enormously
from a comprehensive, global approach to space exploration.

"I can assure you that as we look to the future, international
cooperation will continue to be a cornerstone of NASA's exploration
activities."

For information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx