NASA Astronaut Sends First Signed Message from Orbit

July 23, 2010

Joshua Buck
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1100
jbuck@xxxxxxxx

Kelly Humphries
Johnson Space Center, Houston
281-483-5111
kelly.o.humphries@xxxxxxxx
RELEASE: 10-178

NASA ASTRONAUT SENDS FIRST SIGNED MESSAGE FROM ORBIT

WASHINGTON -- The number of languages used on the International Space
Station has recently increased. In addition to those spoken in the 15
countries that have had representatives aboard the space station,
American Sign Language, or ASL, is now included. NASA astronaut Tracy
Caldwell Dyson has sent a message in ASL from the station to the deaf
community.

In the video, Caldwell Dyson answered several questions about living
and working aboard the station and how she became interested in sign
language.

"I am truly grateful for this opportunity on behalf of the deaf
community and the multitudes of students who will benefit from seeing
their language spoken in space," Caldwell Dyson said. "It is my hope
that this video will help inspire our next generation of scientists
and explorers."

As NASA's missions advance beyond Earth's orbit, the agency will
continue its efforts to highlight its diverse workforce. NASA strives
to assist the next generation of researchers to gain access to
science-related fields.

Caldwell Dyson will work on several other videos targeted to users of
ASL. When the videos are completed, they will be posted on the
agency's website at:

http://www.nasa.gov

To view Caldwell Dyson's message and learn more about the space
station, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/station

To view Caldwell Dyson's bio, visit:

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/caldwell.html