NASA Administrator Bolden Named Champion Of Summer Learning

June 22, 2010

Ann Marie Trotta
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1601
ann.marie.trotta@xxxxxxxx
RELEASE: 10-151

NASA ADMINISTRATOR BOLDEN NAMED CHAMPION OF SUMMER LEARNING

WASHINGTON -- The National Summer Learning Association has recognized
NASA Administrator Charles Bolden as a Champion of Summer Learning.
The award honors Bolden's dedication to keeping America's middle
school students engaged in science, technology, engineering and
mathematics (STEM) through a new initiative called the Summer of
Innovation.

Five leaders from across the nation who have invested in summer
learning programs and helped increase public support for them will
receive the award.

"Bolden's leadership on the NASA Summer of Innovation program has
resulted in a major step forward on two critical policy challenges
facing our nation: summer learning loss and STEM education," said Ron
Fairchild, CEO of the association.

Bolden officially kicked off the Summer of Innovation June 10 at
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. Using content
from NASA's missions and research, the program will engage thousands
of middle school students in STEM learning during the summer months
when many students experience "summer slide," or a loss of skills
acquired during the school year. Summer of Innovation is a
cornerstone of the Educate to Innovate campaign President Obama
announced last November.

"It is such an honor for me personally -- and for NASA -- to be
recognized for our commitment to summer learning," Bolden said.
"However I do want to single out two individuals without whom the
Summer of Innovation would not be in place today -- Nicole Campbell,
a White House Fellow who raised the idea of this program when she
joined my staff, and Dovie Lacy, the project manager, who breathed
life into the program. Education is a passion of mine, and I have
asked that NASA's best and brightest get involved and make this
Summer of Innovation a special and meaningful experience for these
middle school students. They're our future and I want to ensure it is
a bright one."

To learn more about the Summer of Innovation, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/soi

For information about NASA's Education Programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/education

For information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx