NASA Adds Israeli Technical Expertise to Lunar Science Research at Ames

Jan. 27, 2010

Michael Braukus
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1979
michael.j.braukus@xxxxxxxx

Michael Mewhinney
Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif.
650-604-3937
michael.mewhinney@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 10-020

NASA ADDS ISRAELI TECHNICAL EXPERTISE TO LUNAR SCIENCE RESEARCH AT AMES

WASHINGTON -- NASA and the Israel Space Agency have signed a joint
statement that recognizes the Israel Network for Lunar Science and
Exploration, or INLSE, as an affiliate partner with the NASA Lunar
Science Institute at the agency's Ames Research Center in Moffett
Field, Calif.

"NASA looks forward to working with this distinguished Israeli
organization to benefit from our shared expertise and advance our
understanding of lunar science," said agency Administrator Charles
Bolden. "We want to develop more of these partnerships to inspire
students throughout the world to study science, technology,
engineering and math."

The INLSE will bring technical and engineering expertise to advance
the broad goals of lunar science at the institute. The initial focus
will be on laser communications, robotics, remote sensing and other
technologies for future lunar missions. In addition, there will be a
major emphasis on education and public outreach inspired by lunar
science.

"I am very excited the INLSE has become an affiliate member of the
NASA Lunar Science Institute," said Ames Director Pete Worden. "The
considerable capabilities of the INLSE in science and related
technology development will greatly extend our institute's reach."

"The Israel Space Agency is honored to be a part of the NASA Lunar
Science Institute, with the hope of becoming an energetic and vital
member," said Israel Space Agency Director Gen. Zvi Kaplan. "We are
grateful to NASA for this outstanding opportunity to take part in
this most important partnership and for enabling the Israel Space
Agency to contribute and share in this challenging human experience."

To learn more about the NASA Lunar Science Institute, visit:

http://lunarscience.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx