NASA Celebrates Sun-Earth Day With Illuminating Webcast

March 18, 2009

Sonja Alexander
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1761
sonja.r.alexander@xxxxxxxx

Dewayne Washington
Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
301-286-0040
dewayne.a.washington@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 09-061

NASA CELEBRATES SUN-EARTH DAY WITH ILLUMINATING WEBCAST

GREENBELT, Md. -- NASA scientists will reveal new information and
images about our sun and its influence on Earth and the solar system
for Sun-Earth Day, recognized each year in conjunction with the
spring equinox. The highlight of this year's celebration is a webcast
for students and teachers around the world beginning at 1 p.m. EDT,
Friday, March 20.

This year's theme, "Our Sun, Yours to Discover," celebrates the
International Year of Astronomy and emphasizes daytime astronomy.
During the live, interactive event participants from around the world
and NASA scientists will share new discoveries and visualizations
about our sun. Participating students will have the opportunity to
demonstrate personally designed sundials while others will be
monitoring the sun and preparing their own space weather forecast.

"Tremendous strides have been made with satellite and ground-based
observations of the sun, which have enabled us to monitor the sun to
gain a better understanding of the processes that govern its
influence on our solar system," said Eric Christian, a scientist at
NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

Sun-Earth Day is a celebration of the sun and how it affects life on
our planet and the space around Earth, known as geospace. For the
past nine years, NASA has sponsored and coordinated education and
public outreach events for Sun-Earth Day that highlight NASA
heliophysics research and discoveries. NASA's goal is to use
celestial events to engage the public and students in kindergarten
through 12th grade via webcasts, podcasts, space science activities,
demonstrations and interactions with space scientists.

"These events also support the spirit of international collaboration,"
said Lou Mayo, project manager at Goddard for Sun-Earth Day 2009. "We
are excited about sharing the latest discoveries about our sun and
encourage others to join our quest for a greater understanding of our
closest star."

Goddard is producing the Sun-Earth Day webcast. NASA's Jet Propulsion
Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., and the Adler Planetarium in Chicago
also are participating in the broadcast. NASA Television and the
agency's Web site will broadcast the event live.

For NASA TV streaming video, downlink and scheduling information,
visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For more information about Sun-Earth Day, visit:

http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/2009/index.php

For more information about NASA's Education programs, visit

http://www.nasa.gov/education

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx