NASA's Ares I Rocket First Stage Igniter Successfully Tested

March 10, 2009

Ashley Edwards/Grey Hautaluoma
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1756/0668
ashley.edwards-1@xxxxxxxx , grey.hautaluoma-1@xxxxxxxx

Jennifer Morcone
Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala.
256-544-0034
jennifer.j.morcone@xxxxxxxx
RELEASE: 09-055

NASA'S ARES I ROCKET FIRST STAGE IGNITER SUCCESSFULLY TESTED

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. -- NASA has completed a successful test firing of the
igniter that will be used to start the Ares I rocket first stage
motor.

The March 10 test paves the way for the initial ground test of the
Ares I first stage later this year. Ares I is the first launch
vehicle in NASA's Constellation Program family of space vehicles that
will transport astronauts and cargo to the International Space
Station, the moon and beyond in coming decades.

"This successful test represents a milestone in our continuing
development of the Ares I first stage," said Alex Priskos, first
stage manager for the Ares Projects at NASA's Marshall Space Flight
Center in Huntsville, Ala. "We continue to design a robust propulsion
system that will provide a safe and reliable means of transportation
for NASA's future missions of exploration."

The test, conducted at ATK Launch Systems test facilities near
Promontory, Utah, generated a flame almost 200 feet in length.
Initial data showed the igniter performed as expected. ATK Launch
Systems, a division of Alliant Techsystems of Brigham City, Utah, is
the prime contractor for the Ares I first stage.

The Ares I igniter is an enhanced version of the flight-proven igniter
used in the space shuttle's solid rocket boosters. The igniter takes
advantage of upgraded liner and insulation materials that have
improved thermal properties which protect the igniter's case from the
burning solid propellant.

The new igniter is approximately 18 inches in diameter and 36 inches
long. It is a small, high-burn-rate solid rocket motor that is
secured in the forward segment of a five-segment booster. Once the
command is sent to the igniter, a sequence begins that sends a flame
down the core of the 142-foot solid rocket motor. In less than a
second, the booster generates more than 3.5 million pounds of thrust,
triggering liftoff of the rocket.

The Ares I rocket is an in-line, two-stage rocket topped by the Orion
crew capsule; its service module and a launch abort system. The first
Ares I test flight, called Ares I-X, is scheduled for later this
year. The first crewed flight of Orion is planned for 2015, with the
first lunar excursion scheduled for 2020.

NASA's Constellation Program, which is building the spacecraft that
will return us to the moon, includes the Ares I rocket, the Ares V
heavy cargo launch vehicle, the Orion crew capsule and the Altair
lunar lander. Marshall manages the Ares Projects.

For more information about Ares, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ares

For more information about NASA programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx