Journalists Invited to See NASA's Ares I-X Rocket Test Hardware

Jan. 14, 2009

Grey Hautaluoma, Ashley Edwards
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-0668/1756
grey.hautaluoma-1@xxxxxxxx
ashley.edwards-1@xxxxxxxx

H. Keith Henry
Langley Research Center, Hampton, Va.
757-864-6120/344-7211
h.k.henry@xxxxxxxx

MEDIA ADVISORY: M09-009

JOURNALISTS INVITED TO SEE NASA'S ARES I-X ROCKET TEST HARDWARE

HAMPTON, Va. -- Reporters are invited to see spaceflight hardware at
NASA's Langley Research Center in Hampton, Va., before it is
airlifted to Florida for an important launch demonstration test later
this year. The hardware consists of a precisely-machined, full-scale
simulator crew module and launch abort system, designed and
fabricated at Langley to form the tip of NASA's Ares I-X rocket.

The launch of the 321-foot-tall, full-scale Ares I-X rocket will be
the first in a series of unpiloted rocket launches from NASA's
Kennedy Space Center. The goal is to demonstrate technologies NASA is
developing to carry the Orion spacecraft and its crew to the
International Space Station by the middle of the next decade, and to
the moon by 2020.

When fully developed, the 16-foot diameter crew modules will furnish
living space and reentry protection for the astronauts, while their
launch abort system will provide safe evacuation if a launch vehicle
failure occurs.

Rocket elements will be on display at Langley for reporters the
morning of Jan. 22, beginning with a briefing by project officials at
10 a.m. EST. Reporters interested in attending should contact Keith
Henry by 3 p.m., Jan. 21, at 757-864-6120 or 757-344-7211 for center
access and escort details.

For more information about the hardware and images, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/constellation/ares/flighttests/aresIx/aresIX_progress.html

For more information about NASA's future exploration missions, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx