NASA Deputy Administrator Dale to Resign on January 17

Dec. 03, 2008

Roselee Roberts
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-2156
roselee.roberts@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 08-317

NASA DEPUTY ADMINISTRATOR DALE TO RESIGN ON JANUARY 17

WASHINGTON -- NASA Deputy Administrator Shana Dale announced Wednesday
her intent to resign from the agency, effective Jan. 17, 2009, in
advance of the new administration coming into office. She has served
as NASA's second-in-command since November 2005.

"It has been an honor for me to work with those who support America's
space program," Dale said. "It is a highly dedicated group, made up
of individuals who share a deep passion for the missions of the
agency. I will miss the cutting-edge missions, but most of all I will
miss the incredibly talented people of NASA. It is a great team to be
a part of, and I look forward to watching and cheering on the amazing
accomplishments that are yet to come."

Dale's previous experience includes working for the U.S. House of
Representatives, the University of Texas system, the White House's
Office of Science and Technology Policy, and law firms in California.
She is planning to enjoy time off with her family in January and
February and consider options for the next phase of her career.

"It has been an honor and a privilege to work with Shana for these
last three years," NASA Administrator Michael Griffin said. "I have
benefitted from her insightful and perceptive analysis in a host of
difficult situations. Her long experience on Capitol Hill and in the
White House has been a perfect complement to my own background, and
enabled us to function as a team in managing NASA far more
effectively than either of us would have done alone. Being a deputy
is a very difficult job, and Shana has handled it superbly. She has
offered incisive and perceptive analysis in a host of difficult
situations, never hesitating to disagree with a prevailing opinion
when that was the thing to do, but always supporting a final
decision. I will miss her."

For more information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx