NASA's Next Moon Mission Begins Thermal Vacuum Test

Oct. 23, 2008

Grey Hautaluoma
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-0668
grey.hautaluoma-1@xxxxxxxx

Nancy Neal Jones
Goddard Space Flight Center, Md.
301-286-0039
nancy.n.jones@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 08-270

NASA'S NEXT MOON MISSION BEGINS THERMAL VACUUM TEST

GREENBELT, Md. -- NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, or LRO, has
begun environmental testing in a thermal vacuum that simulates the
harsh rigors of space.

The spacecraft, built at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in
Greenbelt, Md., has been lifted into a four-story thermal vacuum
chamber there for a test that will last approximately five weeks.
Once sealed in the chamber, the satellite will undergo a series of
tests that simulate the space environment it will encounter when it
orbits the moon.

During the tests, NASA engineers will operate the spacecraft to ensure
it is performing as planned. The project also will conduct mission
simulations to further train and develop the team that will operate
the spacecraft.

"This is an exciting time for our project," said Cathy Peddie, LRO
deputy project manager at Goddard. "Thermal vacuum testing is one of
our major milestones. Not only are we checking out LRO in a test
facility that most closely matches its final destination, but we are
getting more 'hands-on' time operating LRO as we will see it next
year at the moon."

The orbiter will carry seven instruments to provide scientists with
detailed maps of the lunar surface and enhance our understanding of
the moon's topography, lighting conditions, mineralogical composition
and natural resources. Information gleaned from LRO will be used to
select safe landing sites, determine locations for future lunar
outposts and help to mitigate radiation dangers to astronauts.

The orbiter will be shipped to NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida
early next year to be prepared for its April 24 launch aboard an
Atlas V rocket. Accompanying the spacecraft will be the Lunar Crater
Observation and Sensing Satellite, a mission that will impact the
moon's surface in its search for water ice.

For more information about LRO, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/lro

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx