Ulysses Reveals Global Solar Wind Plasma Output At 50-Year Low

Sept. 23, 2008

Dwayne Brown
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1726
dwayne.c.brown@xxxxxxxx

DC Agle
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
818-393-9011
agle@xxxxxxxxxxxx
RELEASE: 08-241

ULYSSES REVEALS GLOBAL SOLAR WIND PLASMA OUTPUT AT 50-YEAR LOW

WASHINGTON -- Data from the Ulysses spacecraft, a joint NASA-European
Space Agency mission, show the sun has reduced its output of solar
wind to the lowest levels since accurate readings became available.
The sun's current state could reduce the natural shielding that
envelops our solar system.

"The sun's million mile-per-hour solar wind inflates a protective
bubble, or heliosphere, around the solar system. It influences how
things work here on Earth and even out at the boundary of our solar
system where it meets the galaxy," said Dave McComas, Ulysses' solar
wind instrument principal investigator and senior executive director
at the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio. "Ulysses data
indicate the solar wind's global pressure is the lowest we have seen
since the beginning of the space age."

The sun's solar wind plasma is a stream of charged particles ejected
from the sun's upper atmosphere. The solar wind interacts with every
planet in our solar system. It also defines the border between our
solar system and interstellar space.
This border, called the heliopause, surrounds our solar system where
the solar wind's strength is no longer great enough to push back the
wind of other stars. The region around the heliopause also acts as a
shield for our solar system, warding off a significant portion of the
cosmic rays outside the galaxy.

"Galactic cosmic rays carry with them radiation from other parts of
our galaxy," said Ed Smith, NASA's Ulysses project scientist at the
Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "With the solar wind at
an all-time low, there is an excellent chance the heliosphere will
diminish in size and strength. If that occurs, more galactic cosmic
rays will make it into the inner part of our solar system."

Galactic cosmic rays are of great interest to NASA. Cosmic rays are
linked to engineering decisions for unmanned interplanetary
spacecraft and exposure limits for astronauts traveling beyond
low-Earth orbit.

In 2007, Ulysses made its third rapid scan of the solar wind and
magnetic field from the sun's south to north pole. When the results
were compared with observations from the previous solar cycle, the
strength of the solar wind pressure and the magnetic field embedded
in the solar wind were found to have decreased by 20 percent. The
field strength near the spacecraft has decreased by 36 percent.
"The sun cycles between periods of great activity and lesser
activity," Smith said. "Right now, we are in a period of minimal
activity that has stretched on longer than anyone anticipated."

Ulysses was the first mission to survey the space environment over the
sun's poles. Data Ulysses has returned have forever changed the way
scientists view our star and its effects. The venerable spacecraft
has lasted more than 18 years, or almost four times its expected
mission lifetime. The Ulysses solar wind findings were published in a
recent edition of Geophysical Research Letters.

The Ulysses spacecraft was carried into Earth orbit aboard space
shuttle Discovery on Oct. 6, 1990. From Earth orbit it was propelled
toward Jupiter, passing the planet on Feb. 8, 1992. Jupiter's immense
gravity bent the spacecraft's flight path downward and away from the
plane of the planets' orbits. This placed Ulysses into a final orbit
around the sun that would take it over its north and south poles.

The Ulysses spacecraft was provided by ESA, having been built by
Astrium GmbH (formerly Dornier Systems) of Friedrichshafen, Germany.
NASA provided the launch vehicle and the upper stage boosters. The
U.S. Department of Energy supplied a radioisotope thermoelectric
generator to power the spacecraft. Science instruments were provided
by U.S. and European investigators. The spacecraft is operated from
JPL by a joint NASA-ESA team.