Hubble Unveils Colorful Star Birth Region on 100,000th Orbit

Aug. 11, 2008

J.D. Harrington
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-5241
j.d.harrington@xxxxxxxx

Ray Villard
Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore
410-338-4514
villard@xxxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 08-204

HUBBLE UNVEILS COLORFUL STAR BIRTH REGION ON 100,000TH ORBIT

WASHINGTON -- In commemoration of NASA's Hubble Space Telescope
completing its 100,000th orbit during its 18th year of exploration
and discovery, scientists aimed Hubble to take a snapshot of a
dazzling region of celestial birth and renewal.

Hubble peered into a small portion of the Tarantula nebula near the
star cluster NGC 2074. The region is a firestorm of raw stellar
creation, perhaps triggered by a nearby supernova explosion. It lies
about 170,000 light-years away and is one of the most active
star-forming regions in our local group of galaxies.

The image reveals dramatic ridges and valleys of dust, serpent-head
"pillars of creation," and gaseous filaments glowing fiercely under
torrential ultraviolet radiation. The region is on the edge of a dark
molecular cloud that is an incubator for the birth of new stars.

The high-energy radiation blazing out from clusters of hot young stars
is sculpting the wall of the nebula by slowly eroding it away.
Another young cluster may be hidden beneath a circle of brilliant
blue gas.

In this approximately 100-light-year-wide fantasy-like landscape, dark
towers of dust rise above a glowing wall of gases on the surface of
the molecular cloud. The seahorse-shaped pillar at lower, right is
approximately 20 light-years long, roughly four times the distance
between our sun and the nearest star, Alpha Centauri.

The region is in the Large Magellanic Cloud, a satellite of our Milky
Way galaxy. It is a fascinating laboratory for observing
star-formation regions and their evolution. Dwarf galaxies like the
Large Magellanic Cloud are considered to be the primitive building
blocks of larger galaxies.

"This morning, the greatest scientific instrument since Galileo's
telescope has reached another great milestone - its 100,000th orbit
around the Earth," stated Senator Barbara A. Mikulski, D-Md.,
chairwoman of the Commerce, Justice and Science Appropriations
Subcommittee that funds NASA. "Hubble has given us amazing insight
into the origins of our universe, and I'm so proud of the men and
women at Goddard and the Space Telescope Science Institute for their
contributions and dedication to these great discoveries. The entire
world is looking forward to the Hubble servicing mission in October
2008, when Hubble will get new scientific instruments, new batteries
and new gyroscopes. The servicing mission will extend Hubble's life
and give it a more powerful view of our universe. Hubble is the
telescope that could, and its best years are ahead of it!"

NASA is preparing the fifth and final Hubble servicing mission. In
October, shuttle astronauts will take new instruments, gyros,
batteries, and other components to enable the telescope's continued
success through the year 2013.

To see the photo taken during Hubble's 100,000th orbit of Earth,
visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/hubble

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx