Take an Interactive Journey Through NASA's First Fifty Years of Exploration

Aug. 1, 2008

Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1600
bob.jacobs@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 08-196

TAKE AN INTERACTIVE JOURNEY THROUGH NASA'S FIRST FIFTY YEARS OF EXPLORATION

WASHINGTON -- This week marks the 50th anniversary of the signing of
the space act that created NASA. To commemorate NASA's beginning, the
agency has released an immersive multimedia experience that takes
visitors on an interactive tour of its first five decades of
exploration.

Combining current and historic video with state-of-the-art computer
animation, the virtual exhibit takes a World's Fair approach to NASA
history, featuring pavilions that host each decade of the agency's
challenges and achievements. Visitors will get unique insight into
NASA's activities over the years, including a wide range of
exploration and research initiatives, and a glimpse into the future.

"We're very excited to have people come and take a look at NASA's
history," said Brian Dunbar, NASA's Internet services manager at
Headquarters in Washington. "We've been able to take a wide range of
material and weave it into a virtual tour that allows people to
explore at their own pace."

The exhibit's host is an animated robot named Automa, who will guide
visitors through their journey. Also assisting everyone throughout
their tour are important historic and cultural figures of the past 50
years of aerospace history, including astronauts, presidents,
astronomers, and other popular icons associated with NASA's history.
For example, in the 1970s pavilion, visitors will see a presentation
of NASA's Voyager and Viking missions hosted by an avatar of the late
astronomer Carl Sagan, complete with excerpts from his popular
television series "Cosmos."

"We're making our first real foray into animation," said David Mould,
associate administrator for public affairs, Headquarters, Washington.
"It represents a new communications medium for us and we have been
fortunate to get the support of a lot of people that has enabled us
to include some recognizable historic figures as part of this
interactive commemoration."

Visitors to the site can also experience:

Interior 3D views of John Glenn's Friendship 7 Mercury spacecraft
The original April 1959 press conference introducing the Mercury
astronauts
A tour of the International Space Station
Video presentations about NASA's aeronautics programs
An interview with former CBS news journalist Walter Cronkite

On July 29, 1958, the 34th President of the United States, Dwight D.
Eisenhower, signed into law the "National Aeronautics and Space Act
of 1958" (Public Law 85-568). Less than one month later, President
Eisenhower administered the oath of office to NASA's first
Administrator, T. Keith Glennan, and the agency's Deputy
Administrator, Hugh L. Dryden, who had been serving as the director
of NASA's predecessor, the National Advisory Committee for
Aeronautics, or NACA.

To begin the tour of NASA's first 50 years, visit:

http:///www.nasa.gov/50years

And learn more about the agency's 50th anniversary at:

http://www.nasa.gov/50th

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx