NASA Awards Space Station Water Contract to Hamilton Sundstrand

April 15, 2008

Michael Curie
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-4715
michael.curie@xxxxxxxx

CONTRACT RELEASE: C08-020

NASA AWARDS SPACE STATION WATER CONTRACT TO HAMILTON SUNDSTRAND

WASHINGTON -- NASA has awarded a sole-source contract to Hamilton
Sundstrand Space Systems International Inc., Windsor Locks, Conn.,
for water production services aboard the International Space Station.
The firm fixed-price contract has a potential value of $65 million
and extends through Sept. 30, 2014.

Hamilton Sundstrand will provide equipment that uses the station's
excess carbon dioxide and hydrogen to produce water and methane. The
methane will be vented into space, and the water will be fed into the
station's waste water system, where it will undergo treatment before
it is used.

Under the contract, NASA will not buy hardware, but instead will
purchase the water service. If the system does not work, NASA will
not pay for it.

"This is a fundamental shift in the way we do business," said Bill
Gerstenmaier, NASA associate administrator for Space Operations. "In
the business arrangement we have negotiated for water production
services, the contractor is responsible for all system development
and performance. The only requirements we have imposed are those
associated with safety and interfaces. This provides a procurement
and technology test bed for future exploration systems, which need to
operate in an environment far from Earth, where routine resupply is
not feasible."

The equipment employs a chemical process known as a Sabatier reaction.
The process is named for French Nobel laureate and chemist Paul
Sabatier, who discovered that hydrogen and carbon dioxide produce
methane and water at elevated temperatures and pressures.

The Hamilton Sundstrand-provided hardware will be flown during shuttle
mission STS-130, which is targeted for launch in late 2009. A
checkout of the system is planned for May 2010. Hamilton Sundstrand
will retain title to the hardware and ensure it meets NASA's space
station safety and interface requirements.

Water is used on the space station for a variety of purposes,
including drinking, food preparation, oxygen generation, electronic
equipment cooling and hygiene. About half of the station's water
needs are obtained through recycling. The rest of its water currently
is transported by the space shuttle or supply ships, including the
Russian Progress and European Automated Transfer Vehicle.

"We are very excited to provide this service to NASA," said Ed
Francis, Hamilton Sundstrand Space, Land & Sea vice president and
general manager. "Our experience providing environmental control and
life support systems and other hardware for the space station gives
us the insight needed to recognize areas we can help NASA. This is a
great example of how NASA and industry can work together to benefit
both."

Hamilton Sundstrand provides a number of systems for the space
station, including those that control electrical power and process
water, waste and air. The company has been the prime contractor to
NASA for astronaut spacesuits since 1981.

For information about the International Space Station, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/station

For information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx