NASA Deputy Administrator and Missouri Lt. Gov. Discuss Benefits of Space Exploration at St. Louis Future Forum

March 24, 2008

Tabatha Thompson
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-3895
tabatha.thompson-1@xxxxxxxx

Beth Bishop
Saint Louis Science Center
314-267-9916
ebishop@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 08-087

NASA DEPUTY ADMINISTRATOR AND MISSOURI LT. GOV. DISCUSS BENEFITS OF SPACE EXPLORATION AT ST. LOUIS FUTURE FORUM

ST. LOUIS - NASA Deputy Administrator Shana Dale and Lt. Gov. Peter
Kinder discussed how space exploration gives Missourians a more
competitive economy and better quality of life Tuesday during a NASA
Future Forum in St. Louis. The event, which was part of a yearlong
series of events across the country marking NASA's 50th anniversary,
took place at the Saint Louis Science Center.

Other NASA participants included astronauts Carl Walz and Thomas
Jones. Walz, director of the Advanced Capabilities Division in NASA's
Exploration Systems Mission Directorate in Washington, discussed the
agency's plans to return to the moon and travel beyond.

Missouri has a rich, diverse history in the nation's space program.
Astronaut Robert Behnken, a graduate of Pattonville High School in
Maryland Heights, returns to Earth Wednesday aboard space shuttle
Endeavour after a 16-day mission to the International Space Station.
Nine other current and former astronauts have ties to Missouri.

"I am honored to help celebrate the 50th anniversary of NASA," said
Kinder. "Missouri has played a fundamental role in the continued
efforts of space exploration. Fifty years ago, the Mercury space
capsules were developed and built here in St. Louis, helping put the
first American into space. Today, NASA invests over $12 million in
contracts here in the Show-Me State thanks to innovative product
development and research by Missouri businesses and universities.
Missouri astronauts like Major Robert Behnken of St. Louis continue
to inspire and motivate our children to pursue higher education
opportunities. I am grateful for our relationship with NASA, and our
joint dedication in fostering a greater pursuit of excellence in
generations to come."

The panel featured open discussions among NASA representatives and
Missouri academic and commercial groups regarding the future of space
exploration.

"The future of space exploration is one of the most important
science-related issues discussed in our society," said Doug King,
president and CEO of the Saint Louis Science Center. "We are honored
to be a part of that dialogue as one of the few esteemed sites
selected to host a NASA Future Forum to celebrate the agency's 50th
anniversary."

The St. Louis Future Forum was sponsored in part by Boeing, Chicago;
Raytheon, Waltham, Mass; the Missouri Chamber of Commerce and
Industry, Jefferson City, Mo; the Information Technology Coalition,
Jefferson City; Missouri Space Grant Consortium at the University of
Missouri, Rolla; Innovate St. Louis; and Washington University, St.
Louis.

For complete biographical information about Dale, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/about/highlights/dale_bio.html

For more information about the Saint Louis Science Center, visit:

http://www.slsc.org

For more information on NASA's 50th Anniversary Future Forums, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/50th/future_forums

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx