NASA Set to Announce Final Major Ares I Contract

Dec. 5, 2007

Melissa Mathews/Stephanie Schierholz
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1272/4997
melissa.mathews-1@xxxxxxxx, stephanie.schierholz@xxxxxxxx

MEDIA ADVISORY: M07-175

NASA SET TO ANNOUNCE FINAL MAJOR ARES I CONTRACT

WASHINGTON - NASA will host a news conference Wednesday, Dec. 12, at 4
p.m. EST to announce the selection of a contractor for the upper
stage instrument unit avionics for the Ares I rocket. The avionics
unit is the central system that provides guidance, navigation and
control for the launch vehicle during ascent as it carries the Orion
spacecraft to low Earth orbit.

The news conference will take place in the NASA Headquarters James E.
Webb Memorial Auditorium, 300 E St. S.W., Washington. It will air
live on the Web and on NASA Television with questions and answers
from participating NASA locations. Media should confirm availability
with local NASA centers by 4 p.m. Monday, Dec. 10.

News conference participants:
- Doug Cooke, deputy associate administrator for Exploration Systems
- Jeff Hanley, Constellation program manager
- Steve Cook, Ares project manager
- Danny Davis, Upper Stage Element manager

The instrument unit is part of the Ares I upper stage, which includes
propellant tanks and a separately procured upper stage engine. The
first stage will consist of a single reusable solid rocket booster
and motor, similar to those used on the space shuttle, with a fifth
integrated motor segment.

For NASA TV streaming video, downlink and scheduling information,
visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For information about NASA's Exploration Systems Mission Directorate
visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx