NASA Expresses Condolences Upon the Passing of Joan Roosa

Nov. 1, 2007

Edward Goldstein
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-4581
edward.s.goldstein@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 07-241

NASA EXPRESSES CONDOLENCES UPON THE PASSING OF JOAN ROOSA

WASHINGTON - NASA's senior leadership Thursday noted with sorrow the
passing of Joan Roosa of Gulfport, Miss., the wife of Apollo 14
astronaut Stuart Roosa. Roosa passed away Oct. 30.

"We wish to express our sincere condolences to the Roosa family," said
NASA Deputy Administrator Shana Dale, Headquarters, Washington. "Many
current and former NASA family members were very close to both Stuart
and Joan Roosa and remember her fondly. We at NASA certainly
appreciate the dedication of all our astronaut spouses, which Joan
Roosa exemplified."

A native of Tupelo, Miss., Joan met her future husband at Langley Air
Force Base in Hampton, Va., in 1956. They married the following year,
and had four children: Christopher, Jack, Alan and Rosemary. Stuart
Roosa, who was the Apollo 14 command module pilot, passed away in
1994.

Joan Roosa played an active role in her husband's career, encouraging
him to apply for the astronaut corps. On Feb. 9, 2006, the 35th
anniversary of Apollo 14's successful return from the moon, Roosa
represented her late husband when NASA honored him as one of its
Ambassadors of Exploration. At the ceremony, the Roosa family
presented a lunar sample obtained during the Apollo 14 mission for
permanent display at the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame in Florida.

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx