Statement by NASA Administrator Mike Griffin on Pilot Survey

Oct. 22, 2007

David Mould
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-0602
david.r.mould@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 07-230

STATEMENT BY NASA ADMINISTRATOR MIKE GRIFFIN ON PILOT SURVEY

WASHINGTON - Since becoming NASA administrator, I have been an
advocate for openness and transparency in the pursuit of NASA
research and analysis. As a general practice, I believe that NASA
research and data should be widely available and subject to review
and scrutiny.

I have just been made aware of the issue involving information from a
NASA survey of airline pilots regarding safety issues being withheld
under the Freedom of Information Act.

I am reviewing this Freedom of Information Act request to determine
what, if any, of this information may legally be made public. NASA
should focus on how we can provide information to the public -- not
on how we can withhold it. Therefore, I am asking NASA's Associate
Administrator for Aeronautics Research, Lisa Porter, to look into
this situation, including ensuring that all survey data are
preserved, and report to me as soon as possible.

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx