NASA Moves Forward With Astronaut Assessments

July 27, 2007

David Mould/Bob Jacobs/Michael Cabbage
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1600
david.r.mould@xxxxxxxx, bob.jacobs@xxxxxxxx, mcabbage@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 07-167

NASA MOVES FORWARD WITH ASTRONAUT ASSESSMENTS

WASHINGTON - NASA Deputy Administrator Shana Dale said the agency is
moving forward to implement many of the recommendations contained in
two studies released Friday about astronaut health and behavioral
assessments.

The two reviews were made public prior to a news conference in
Washington, five months after the agency requested that an
independent external committee conduct a comprehensive review of
health services available to astronauts. Both studies were initiated
in the aftermath of the arrest in February of former astronaut Lisa
Nowak.

The first assessment of astronaut behavioral medicine procedures, an
internal review, was completed by NASA's Johnson Space Center,
Houston, earlier this week. The second assessment, a broader review
by outside experts called the Astronaut Health Care System Review
Committee, was organized by NASA Chief Health and Medical Officer Dr.
Richard Williams.

"The review committee, chaired by Air Force Col. Richard Bachmann,
commander of the U.S. Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine,
completed a valuable task on short notice and I would like to
acknowledge the group's dedication and time commitment to this
important review," Dale said. "We are committed to improving the
behavioral care and assessment procedures for astronauts."

"We believe the resulting modifications will be good for the astronaut
corps and for NASA."

Dale said NASA immediately will address four primary areas of concern:

NASA Chief of Safety and Mission Assurance Bryan O'Connor, a former
astronaut, began an extensive examination Friday focusing on
allegations of improper alcohol use. O'Connor will review all
existing policies and procedures related to alcohol use and astronaut
medical fitness prior to flight. The goal is to ensure that risks to
flight safety are dealt with by appropriate authorities, and, if
necessary, elevated through a transparent system of senior management
review and accountability.

NASA's Medical Policy Board, made up of senior internal and external
medical experts, will further assess the medical and behavioral
findings and recommendations in the two reviews. The board will
institute behavioral health assessments as a part of annual flight
physicals for all astronauts.

The agency will develop an astronaut code of conduct and has engaged
NASA's astronaut corps to help develop the formal guidelines. The
astronauts already have started to develop an initial set of
recommendations and agency leadership will establish a collaborative
process to create an official code.

To address organizational culture issues outlined in the reports, NASA
will conduct a series of internal assessments, including anonymous
surveys to be completed by astronauts and flight surgeons, to provide
feedback and gather information. The goal is to improve
communications and ensure leadership is responsive to concerns and
complaints.

"We are moving as quickly as we can on the recommendations, and
Administrator Mike Griffin and I will closely monitor progress on
these issues," Dale added. "After the review is completed, it is our
intention to share the findings with the public, to the maximum
extent possible."

For copies of the reports and a complete transcript and video of
Friday's news conference, visit the Internet at:

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/formedia/features/astronautreport.html

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx