NASA Welcomes Doctors' Support for Human Space Exploration

July 17, 2007

Melissa Mathews/Beth Dickey
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1272/2087

RELEASE: 07-157-CORRECTED URL

NASA WELCOMES DOCTORS' SUPPORT FOR HUMAN SPACE EXPLORATION

WASHINGTON - NASA welcomes a vote of support for its future space
exploration plans from the nation's largest organization of doctors.
The American Medical Association recently passed a resolution in
support of human space travel, citing "potential future benefits to
medicine and advances in patient care."

The resolution passed in a unanimous vote at the AMA's annual meeting
of its House of Delegates, held in June in Chicago. The AMA also
reaffirmed support for medical research on the space shuttle and
International Space Station.

NASA's space exploration programs have played a role in key
advancements in medical science, from diagnostics to telemedicine to
a space shuttle-derived heart pump.

"We're pleased the nation's doctors recognize the value of what we do
in space to improve the quality of life on Earth," said Scott "Doc"
Horowitz, NASA's associate administrator for Exploration Systems. "To
understand the universe, we also have to understand how our own
bodies and minds hold up to the rigors of spaceflight. Improved
medical knowledge and innovative medical technology are certain to
come from that."

Long-duration spaceflight, such as a mission on the space station or
to a future moon outpost, offers opportunities to study issues common
to spacefaring astronauts and Earth-bound patients. Astronauts
currently aboard the space station are participating in experiments
on sleep, nutrition, the immune system and isolation and confinement.
NASA researchers also are working to improve measures to counter the
loss of bone mineral density and muscle strength, problems faced by
astronauts in microgravity as well as patients on prolonged bed rest.

The new, interactive, online feature "NASA Anatomy" highlights the
space program's contributions to medical science. For it and more
information about NASA benefits, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/spinoffs

NASA is working to send astronauts to the moon by 2020 in preparation
for journeys to Mars and other destinations in the solar system. To
learn more about NASA's exploration plans, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx