Scott Horowitz Announces Departure From NASA

July 13, 2007

Beth Dickey/Melissa Mathews
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-2087/1272

RELEASE: 07-154

SCOTT HOROWITZ ANNOUNCES DEPARTURE FROM NASA

WASHINGTON - Scott J. "Doc" Horowitz, associate administrator for
NASA's Exploration Systems Mission Directorate, has announced plans
to leave the agency in October.

Horowitz, a retired U.S. Air Force colonel who served as commander or
pilot on four space shuttle missions, now leads NASA's efforts to
develop the new family of spacecraft that will return astronauts to
the moon by 2020.

Horowitz is stepping down for personal reasons. "I need to devote more
attention to my family responsibilities," the father of three young
children told colleagues this week. "I am very proud of our team and
where we are headed - back to the moon," he added.

Horowitz' career plans are not certain. His successor will be named
later.

In accepting Horowitz' resignation, NASA Administrator Michael Griffin
praised the veteran astronaut's tireless contribution to the Vision
for Space Exploration.

"Doc Horowitz has been the key person for NASA's exploration effort
during the critical period immediately following definition of the
architecture for shuttle replacement and lunar return," Griffin said.

"The Ares I crew launch vehicle concept is Doc's brainchild, a fact
that crews launching safely a generation from now will remember with
gratitude," the administrator continued. "Doc brought to NASA the
perfect combination of integrity, drive, intelligence, engineering
intuition, advanced education and flight crew experience. I am
grateful for his contributions and his friendship, which will live on
for both of us."

Prior to being named associate administrator for exploration in
September 2005, Horowitz was director of exploration and space
transportation at ATK, Brigham City, Utah. Previously, Horowitz
worked as the acting deputy associate administrator for safety and
mission assurance at NASA Headquarters in Washington.

Horowitz was an Air Force test pilot, F-15 fighter pilot and master
flight instructor. He has worked as a scientist at Lockheed-Georgia
Co., Marietta, Ga. He holds doctorate and master's degrees in
aerospace engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in
Atlanta and a bachelor's degree in engineering from California State
University at Northridge.

For more information about NASA's exploration mission visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx