NASA Authorizes Contract for Ares I Materials

June 21, 2007

Beth Dickey/Melissa Mathews
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-2087/1272

Kim Newton
Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala.
256-544-0034
CONTRACT RELEASE: C07-25

NASA AUTHORIZES CONTRACT FOR ARES I MATERIALS

WASHINGTON -- NASA has authorized a contract with a maximum value of
$16.7 million with Alcoa North American Rolled Products of
Bettendorf, Iowa, to supply aluminum lithium plates and metal ingots
for early development of the Ares I crew launch vehicles upper stage.
The firm fixed-price contract has a period of performance through
Aug. 5, 2008.

Ares I is an in-line, two-stage rocket that will transport to low
Earth orbit the Orion crew exploration vehicle containing up to six
astronauts. The first stage will consist of a single reusable solid
rocket booster similar to those used on the space shuttle, with an
additional fifth segment. The second, or upper, stage will consist of
a J-2X main engine fueled by liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen
propellants.

For information about NASA's Constellation Program, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/constellation

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx