NASA Issues Ares I Upper Stage Production Request for Proposal

Feb. 23, 2007

Beth Dickey/J.D. Harrington
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-2087/5241

Kim Newton
Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala.
256-544-0034

RELEASE: 07-51

NASA ISSUES ARES I UPPER STAGE PRODUCTION REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL

WASHINGTON - Friday NASA issued a request for proposal for the Ares I
launch vehicle upper stage element. Ares I is the launch vehicle that
will transport the Orion crew exploration vehicle and its crew and
cargo to low Earth orbit. The upper stage proposals are due to
Marshall Space Flight Center no later than 1 p.m. CST April 13, 2007.

The request for proposal states the procurement approach for obtaining
the upper stage element. The selected contractor will produce the
required Ares I upper stage and provide support to a NASA-led design
team during the design phase. The contract will provide for the
manufacture and assembly of test articles, flight test units, and the
operational upper stage elements to support NASA's flight manifest
through 2016. Final manufacturing and assembly will take place at
NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility in Louisiana.

The Ares I upper stage, with a separately procured upper stage engine
and a separately procured instrument ring, will provide the
navigation, guidance, control and propulsion required for the second
stage of the Ares I ascent. The first stage will consist of a single
reusable solid rocket booster and motor similar to those used on the
space shuttle but with a fifth motor segment attached.

The contract to manufacture and assemble the Ares I upper stage
element will be awarded through a full and open competition and
managed by NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala. A
selection will be made in August 2007.

For more information about the draft request for proposal on the Web,
visit:

http://www.exploration.nasa.gov

For information about NASA's Ares Projects on the Web, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ares

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx