NASA Selects New Education Assistant Administrator

Oct. 11, 2006

Dean Acosta/Sonja Alexander
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1400/1761

RELEASE: 06-329

NASA SELECTS NEW EDUCATION ASSISTANT ADMINISTRATOR

NASA Deputy Administrator Shana Dale announced Wednesday the selection
of Joyce L. Winterton as the agency's new assistant administrator for
education, effective Oct. 16. She succeeds John M. Hairston, Jr., who
has served in an acting capacity since June.

Before joining NASA, Winterton was director of national education
programs for USA Today, the nation's largest circulated newspaper.
She has also directed a number of highly visible and successful
education initiatives during the past three decades.

"I look forward to Joyce's contribution to our education programs. She
has devoted her career to inspiring students as both an educator and
an administrator committed to excellence and advancing knowledge,"
Dale said. "I want to thank John for agreeing to come to headquarters
and serve as acting AA. His outstanding stewardship during this
period of transition for our education office has been deeply
appreciated."

Hairston will return to NASA's Glenn Research Center in Cleveland as
director of the external programs directorate.

Winterton will be responsible for the development and implementation
of the agency's education information and outreach programs that
strengthen student involvement and public awareness about NASA's
scientific goals and missions.

"I look forward to joining NASA at this crucial time for the agency as
it looks to inspire student interest in science, technology,
engineering and mathematics," Winterton said. "This is an exciting
challenge, and I look forward to joining my new colleagues in pushing
new frontiers."

She earned her bachelor's and master's degrees in Home Economics
Education from Utah State University in Logan. In 1978, she completed
her doctorate in Teacher Education and Administration at Colorado
State University in Fort Collins.

Winterton is no stranger to Washington, serving as executive director
for the National Council on Vocational Education in 1986 and deputy
assistant secretary at the Department of Education in 1983. She has
served on a number of national boards and advisory panels, and she
created her own successful education and business consulting firm in
1991.

For more information about NASA and agency education programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/education

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx