NASA Scientist John C. Mather Wins 2006 Nobel Physics Prize

Oct. 3, 2006

Dwayne Brown/Erica Hupp
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1726/1237

Dewayne Washington/Susan Hendrix
Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
301-286-0040/7745

RELEASE: 06-327

NASA SCIENTIST JOHN C. MATHER WINS 2006 NOBEL PHYSICS PRIZE

The Nobel Prize Committee announced Tuesday that NASA scientist and
Goddard Fellow Dr. John C. Mather is this year's recipient of the
Nobel Prize for Physics. Mather is currently serving as senior
project scientist for NASA's James Webb Space Telescope program.

Mather shares the prize with George Smoot of the Lawrence Berkeley
National Laboratory in Berkeley, Calif. They received the award for
their work that helped cement the Big Bang theory of the universe and
deepened our understanding of the origin of stars and galaxies.

"I was thrilled and amazed when I found out we won the Nobel Prize,"
Mather said. "The dedicated and talented women and men of the COBE
team collaborated to produce the science results being recognized.
This is truly such a rare and special honor."

Mather and Smoot's work was based on measurements performed with
NASA's Cosmic Background Explorer (COBE) satellite, launched in 1989.
Together, the scientists could observe the universe in its early
stages about 380,000 years after it was born. Ripples in the light
they detected helped demonstrate how galaxies came together over
time.

NASA Administrator Michael Griffin said, "I am thrilled to hear that
Dr. John Mather has been selected to receive the Nobel Prize in
Physics. John would be a world-class scientist no matter where he had
chosen to spend his career, but we at NASA are enormously proud that
he has chosen to spend it with us."

Dr. Ed Weiler, the Director of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center,
Greenbelt, Md., added, "This is a tremendous accomplishment for John
and for the COBE team. It is also important to note that COBE was
built entirely 'in-house,' and the fact that a NASA civil servant has
won the biggest science award possible demonstrates that world-class
research is happening here at NASA."

COBE was built at Goddard to measure microwave and infrared light from
the early universe. COBE determined that the cosmic microwave
background, which is essentially the afterglow of the Big Bang, has a
temperature of approximately minus 455 degrees Fahrenheit. This
observation matched the predictions of the hot Big Bang theory and
indicated that nearly all of the radiant energy of the universe was
released within the first year after the Big Bang.

Also, COBE discovered slight temperature variations of approximately
10 parts per million in this relatively uniform light. These
variations pointed to density differences which, through gravity over
the course of billions of years, gave rise to the stars, galaxies and
hierarchal structure we see today.

Steven Hawking a decade ago, independent of the COBE team, called
these variations "the most important discovery of the century, if not
of all time."

Alfred Nobel, the wealthy Swedish industrialist who endowed the
prizes, left guidelines in his will for the selection committee which
cited "the prize should be given to those who shall have conferred
the greatest benefit on mankind" and "have made the most important
discovery or invention within the field of physics."

The 2006 Nobel Laureates will gather in Stockholm on Dec. 10 to
receive their Nobel Prize Medal, diploma and monetary award from King
Carl Gustav XVI of Sweden.

For Mather's biographical information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/starsgalaxies/nobel_prize_mather.html

For information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/home

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx