NASA Ends One Chapter in Human Spaceflight, Prepares for the Next

Sept. 29, 2006

Allard Beutel
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-4769

Paul Foerman
Stennis Space Center, Miss.
228-688-3341

June Malone
Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala.
256-544-7061

RELEASE: 06-323

NASA ENDS ONE CHAPTER IN HUMAN SPACEFLIGHT, PREPARES FOR THE NEXT

NASA is marking a historic moment in the life of the nation's largest
rocket engine test complex. The Stennis Space Center conducted the
final space shuttle main engine test on its A-1 Test Stand Friday.
Although this ends the stand's work on the Space Shuttle Program, it
will soon be used for the rocket that will carry America's next
generation human spacecraft, Orion.

The A-1 Test Stand was the site of the first test on a shuttle main
engine in 1975. Stennis will continue testing shuttle main engines on
its A-2 Test Stand through the end of the Space Shuttle Program in
2010.

The A-1 stand begins a new chapter in its operational history in
October. It will be temporarily decommissioned to convert it for
testing the J-2X engine, which will power the upper stage of NASA's
new crew launch vehicle, the Ares I. The J-2X will also power the
Earth departure stage of the Ares V new cargo launch vehicle. The
Ares I and V vehicles will provide the thrust, while the Orion crew
capsule will be future astronauts' home in space.

"This is truly an important milestone for Stennis," said Don
Beckmeyer, space shuttle main engine project manager in the Test
Projects Office of Stennis' Project Directorate. "As we transition
the A-1 Test Stand from testing shuttle main engines to testing J-2X
engines, we are entering into some exciting years ahead where our
work force and the center as a whole will be key in the development
of this new engine. Until the shuttle engines are retired in 2010, we
will have two critical test programs running side by side."

Beckmeyer and other engineers have praised the foresight of NASA's
early management, whose vision still allows the rugged structures to
meet current and future rocket engine testing needs.

"Reaching these milestones is really a testament to the designers and
builders of the test stands back in the 1960s," Beckmeyer said. "They
were built to last, and their longevity and flexibility are key
assets to the agency. We are about to embark on the third generation
of rocket engines to be tested on A-1, and we fully expect this test
stand to be instrumental in developing and certifying these engines
for years to come."

A-1 and its sister stand A-2 were built in the 1960s to test the
stages of the Apollo Program's rocket engines, then modified in the
1970s to test-fire and prove flight-worthy all main engines for
NASA's space shuttle fleet.

According to Beckmeyer and Gary Benton, Stennis' J-2X engine project
manager, A-1 is set to be reactivated in the spring of 2007.

The J-2X is a modification of the Apollo Program's J-2 engine, which
helped send the first Americans to the moon. The original J-2s were
also tested at Stennis.

As the A-1 Test Stand moved into the shuttle era, it handled more than
1,000 shuttle main engine tests, which have been crucial to the
flight record of the orbiter's powerful engines. In the 116 launches
logged by the shuttle fleet, no main engine has ever experienced a
major problem.

For more information about the Space Shuttle Program, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/shuttle

For information about the J-2X engines and Ares rockets, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ares

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx