NASA Astronomical Observatory Passes Hurdle

June 15, 2006

Erica Hupp/Dwayne Brown
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1237/1726

RELEASE: 06-240

NASA ASTRONOMICAL OBSERVATORY PASSES HURDLE

The world's largest airborne astronomical observatory has passed a
technical and programmatic review that could potentially lead to the
continuation of the mission.

NASA's Program Management Council concluded that there were no
insurmountable technical or programmatic challenges to the continued
development of the Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy
(SOFIA). The agency has developed a technically viable plan to
proceed with the development of the SOFIA aircraft, subject to the
identification of appropriate funding offsets.

Earlier this year, the decision had been made to discontinue funding
in fiscal year 2007 as a result of technical, programmatic, and
budget challenges affecting the program. The NASA Program Management
Council is chaired by NASA Associate Administrator Rex Geveden and
comprised of NASA headquarters and center senior management.

"We placed the program on hold last February because of programmatic
and technical issues," said Geveden. "Since that time, we have
thoroughly reviewed the program and now are confident that SOFIA can
resolve those issues. However, it is not yet clear whether SOFIA
represents the best investment of space science funding, and we will
need to consider funding options and sources before we decide to
continue the mission."

SOFIA has been under development since 1996 as an airborne
astronomical observatory consisting of a 2.5-meter aperture telescope
permanently installed in a specially-modified Boeing 747 aircraft.
The aircraft, fitted with an open-port telescope provided through a
partnership with the German Aerospace Center, will provide routine
access to space observations in several parts of the spectrum beyond
what is visible to the eye.

For information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/home

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx