Media Invited to Capture Arrival of Rocket Core Stage at Kennedy for Artemis I

  April 14, 2021
MEDIA ADVISORY M021-03
Media Invited to Capture Arrival of Rocket Core Stage at Kennedy for Artemis I
NASA conducts a hot fire test March 18, 201, of the core stage for the agency’s Space Launch System rocket on the B-2 Test Stand at Stennis Space Center near Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.
core_stage_green_run.jpg
NASA conducts a hot fire test March 18, 2021, of the core stage for the agency’s Space Launch System rocket on the B-2 Test Stand at Stennis Space Center near Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. The hot fire test of the stage’s four RS-25 engines generated a combined 1.6 million pounds of thrust, just as will occur during an actual launch. The hot fire test is the final test of the Green Run test series, which represents a comprehensive assessment of the core stage and its integrated systems prior to its launch on the Artemis I mission.
Credits: NASA

NASA is inviting a limited number of media to capture imagery of NASA’s Pegasus Barge and the offload and transport of the Space Launch System’s (SLS) rocket core stage as it arrives at the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida in late-April in preparation for the Artemis I launch. After successfully completing the comprehensive Green Run test series to ensure it is ready for Artemis missions, the world’s largest rocket stage is preparing to voyage to the Florida spaceport’s wharf from Stennis Space Center in Mississippi.

Upon arrival, teams from Kennedy’s Exploration Ground Systems (EGS) and primary contractor, Jacobs, will offload the 212-foot piece of Artemis I flight hardware and transport it to the Vehicle Assembly Building. There, it will join the solid rocket boosters on the mobile launcher. Once stacked, additional flight components will be integrated with the core stage and boosters along with the Orion spacecraft.

Experts from the SLS Program, EGS Program, Jacobs, and Boeing will be available to answer questions.

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a limited number of media will be permitted to participate in this event. The agency is following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the agency’s chief health and medical officer, and will immediately communicate any updates that may impact media access for these activities.

The first in a series of increasingly complex missions, Artemis I will test the Orion spacecraft and SLS rocket as an integrated system ahead of crewed flights to the Moon. Under the Artemis program, NASA will land the first woman and the first person of color on the Moon and establish sustainable exploration in preparation for missions to Mars.

Accreditation for this activity is open to U.S. media only. To receive credentials for this event, media must apply online by April 21.

All media accreditation requests must be submitted online at:

https://media.ksc.nasa.gov

For questions about media accreditation, email ksc-media-accreditat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

For other questions, contact Kennedy’s newsroom at 321-867-2468.

Para obtener información sobre cobertura en español en el Centro Espacial Kennedy o si desea solicitar entrevistas en español, comuníquese con Kristina Irastorza (321) 607-4073 y Antonia Jaramillo (321) 501-8425.

Learn more about NASA’s Artemis I mission at:

                                                                                                     https://www.nasa.gov/artemis-1

Press Contacts

Press Contacts

Brittney Thorpe