In Case You Missed It: A Weekly Summary of Top Content from NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center

  November 23, 2018
MEDIA ADVISORY
In Case You Missed It: A Weekly Summary of Top Content from NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center

Week of Nov. 19-23, 2018

Jason Detko Named Director of Procurement at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center

Jason Detko has been appointed to the position of director of the Office of Procurement at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. In his new position, Detko will plan and direct the execution of all Marshall procurements with responsibility for a range of multi-program and institutional activities.

(VIDEO 2:23) We Are NASA

We’ve taken giant leaps and left our mark in the heavens. Now we’re building the next chapter, returning to the Moon to stay, and preparing to go beyond. We are NASA – and after 60 years, we’re just getting started.

Abell 1033: To Boldly Go into Colliding Galaxy Clusters

Using data collected from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory, managed at Marshall, scientists have determined that Abell 1033 is actually two galaxy clusters in the process of colliding. This extraordinarily energetic event, happening from the top to the bottom in the image, has produced turbulence and shock waves, similar to sonic booms produced by a plane moving faster than the speed of sound.

NASA Announces Landing Site for Mars 2020 Rover

On Monday, Nov. 19, NASA announced that Jezero Crater will be the designated landing site for the Mars2020 rover. Caleb Fassett, a scientist at Marshall, played a key role in it’s selection.

(VIDEO 5:12) International Space Station Celebrates 20 Years

Tuesday, Nov. 20, marked the 20th anniversary of the launch of the first element of the International Space Station, beginning a new era in international partnership and exploration. Watch as astronauts who have lived and worked on board share their most memorable moments.

For more information or to learn about other happenings at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, visit NASA Marshall. For past issues of the ICYMI newsletter, click here.

NASA Marshall Space Flight Center news releases and other information are available automatically by sending an e-mail message with the subject line subscribe to msfc-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.