NASA Marshall Names Brilliant, Alabama, Native Christopher Wakefield to Help Guide Science on Space Station

  September 11, 2017
RELEASE 17-064
NASA Marshall Names Brilliant, Alabama, Native Christopher Wakefield to Help Guide Science on Space Station

Christopher Wakefield has been named a payload operations director at the Payload Operations Integration Center located at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama – mission control for science on the International Space Station.

Credits: NASA/MSFC

The Payload Operations Integration Center located at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, supports all science investigations on the International Space Station.

Credits: NASA/MSFC/Emmett Given

Christopher Wakefield, a native of Brilliant, Alabama, has been named a payload operations director for the International Space Station. He will help lead the team that guides and manages science investigations on the station from the Payload Operations Integration Center – mission control for science located at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

A native of Brilliant, Alabama, Wakefield graduated from Mississippi State University in Starkville with a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering in 2004. Before accepting his new role, he was an operations support manager at the Marshall Center, integrating new and existing science payloads on the space station. He has previously served as a certified payload rack officer, supporting a series of individual experiments and investigations.

"I am very excited for this opportunity," said Wakefield. "Payload operations directors are at the forefront, leading the team that makes new discoveries possible. I am looking forward to the new challenges of this position."

NASA is increasing the crew complement in the U.S. segment of the station from three astronauts to four, essentially doubling the amount of science conducted on board. More science means more flight controllers are needed to help manage those investigations.

Wakefield and three additional new payload operations directors will soon begin training and certification for their new roles, joining the 24 flight controllers who help lead the massive team that works with astronauts on a daily basis to conduct science in orbit.

"There was a rigorous review process of many outstanding applicants," said Bobby Watkins, director of the Human Exploration Development & Operations Office at the Marshall Center which manages the Payload Operations Integration Center. "Chris and his colleagues represent the best and are consummate professionals who have proven themselves as expert flight controllers for the space station. As leaders of the Payload Operations team, they are integral in the role we play in making discoveries on the space station "

For Wakefield, working at NASA has been a dream come true.

"As a kid, anything about the space program fascinated me," Wakefield said. "I soaked up anything I could find about the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and space shuttle missions and I loved field trips to the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville. Now I get to be a part of the team that shapes space exploration."

While all four new payload operations directors have previous flight controller experience, their journeys to lead the team are just beginning. They will soon begin the certification process, which includes training over the next six months to a year. Once they have been officially certified, they will begin guiding the science on the station that improves life on Earth, while managing the discoveries that will help carry us to other worlds.

Stay up to date with science activities on the space station on the official Twitter feed for science on the orbiting laboratory.

Press Contacts

Janet Anderson
Marshall Space Flight Center
256-544-0034