Video Filter doing OpenGL operations

Hi mplayer users.

I have a mplayer video filter which does some OpenGL manipulations of
the frame.  It works, but is simply too slow.  The biggest CPU load
and performance loss comes from pulling the data back from OpenGL
using glReadPixels.  Currently the filter copies the data into a
buffer for the OpenGL commands to work on, then the data is copied
back.  I gather that the problem is that to get OpenGL code to work
well, the buffers it works on should reside on the GPU.  Is there any
way to achieve this with mplayer and video filters?

Thanks.
Paulj.