Automatic Video Window Placement

> First off, not "everyone" runs gnome.

Yes, I know.  I'm mildly mocking the argument software developers use when they support only a single desktop.

> Secondly, window placement is a function of your window
> manager? - the clue is in the name.

Right. And, in my case, the window manager isn't placing the window on
the screen automatically.  That's the problem I have, and that's the
problem I'm trying to fix.  Any help would be mucho appreciated.

> What do you mean by running gnome with a different window
> manager?? Which one??
> And are starting the whole Gnome system on top of another
> window manager?

If I use the 'twm' window manager with Gnome (just set the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable to 'twm', then restart X11), then automatic window placement in mplayer doesn't work.

> What do you mean by running X11 without gnone?? You
> get a grey screen with
> black X mouse pointer?? Or do you mean you are running
> the default TWM (hint,
> that's a window manager, a seperate programme from
> X11.?

You can run twm without running Gnome.  Just put 'twm' in your .xinitrc file.  If you do, then automatic placement of the video window in mplayer doesn't work.