Seeking in MPEG2/MPEG4 streams

On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 23:18 +0100, Barnabas Hajas wrote:
> Answering to your idea - compiling Mplayer from git will give me fast
> seeking - I don't care about picture being accurate for performance
> loss. I do want those nasty blocks :) like in 1.0pre7 or 1.0rc1
> because the more picture I see the more efficiently I can look for a
> part in a movie clip, also I think they look cool. Do I need to mess
> around with libmpeg2 if I want this "feature" or is there another
> tricky command line option? ;)

Is your machine really slow enough that any "performance loss" is
noticeable? Did you actually test it? Most machines should be fast
enough decoding mpeg2/4 video frames that monitor refresh rate is more
likely to be the actual limiting factor on number of frames you can see.

I think there's no way to make the FFmpeg decoder produce incorrect
frames like that, so if you actually want to see them then you'll have
to use libmpeg2.