unreadable ass subtitle file

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 08:47 +0100, Roberto Malinverni wrote:
> I'm trying to play a mkv that comes with a subtitle track in "ass" format.
> Both mplayer SVN-r29996 (with internal ass library) and mplayer git-c3c0309
> (with an up-to-date ass library) give:
>
> [ass] no charmap autodetected, trying the first one
>
> and instead of the subtitles, a line of strange gliphs is displayed (all the
> file become "strange gliphs"...).
> The subtitles file is UTF-8 encoded, if that matters, and I couldn't find
> anything strange in it.
> I already tried to demux/remux the matroska, with no effect.
> Does someone have a clue?

Do the subtitles contain ASCII characters or only non-ASCII ones? If
they do contain ASCII but even that is not properly displayed then it
could be a problem with the font. Does the file contain embedded fonts?
If so then does -noembeddedfonts change the behavior?

Any further tests will be easier to do if you post a sample. If the
problem occurs without using the particular embedded fonts in the file
then just the subtitle track extracted with mkvextract should be enough
to reproduce it.