Ripping DVDs Directly to MPEG Files

I know how to use mplayer to create VOB files from DVDs.? I'd like to use mplayer to rip DVD directly to an MPEG file, not a VOB file, without transcoding the video data. Is that possible?

If not, can I use mplayer or mencoder to convert a VOB file to an MPEG2 file, without transcoding the video data?