Limit on MPEG2 size?

Does mencoder have a limit on the bitrate when generating MPEG2? The
last couple of times I've tried to convert films from H264 to DVD using
DeVeDe or entering a similar mencoder command line manually, I end up
with a file of only 2-3GB instead of the >4GB I want. IIRC when I tried
to increase the bitrate manually I got an error message saying it was
too high or something, but it can't have been out of spec because most
DVDs have a higher bitrate.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk