Fade out with mencoder

Hello folks!

I'm trying to make a video from a PNG file with a script in command line. I
have already done it with mencoder mf:// ... but now I want to add a fade
out effect on the last seconds of the generated video.

I have to say that all the PNG images passed to mencoder to generate the
video are symbolic links to the same image and I prefer not to create
several images with the fade out effect.

Is there any way to add the fade out effect directly on the video generation
or, in the worst case, on another mencoder command line?