Re: Divide video file into fixed-time chunks

Thawxx wrote:
..After that I am going to merge it again, so which mencoder options could I use for that too?

The thing I am trying to do is for example divide a video file in 1 second chunks, send the chunks separately througth the network, and then merging them again at the receiver side. So when merging I shall not see that it is a merged video, I would like to get the original video at the end.

Thank you!

Thawxx schrieb:
Hello
Is it possible to divide a video file in chunks of a specific time length, for example one second?
Using mencoder for example

Thank you!

If you don't need to be able to play the separate chunks, merely transfer them, recombine them, then play the recombination, you can use the UNIX/Linux split program. For example, assuming that you want a 100,000 byte chunk size:

mkdir chunks
cd chunks
split -b 100kb - filename < ../filename

Then transfer the entire chunks subdir. At the destination, recombine the chunks using cat:

cd chunks
cat filename* > ../filename

Once this finishes, you can remove the chunks subdir from the destination. The recombined file is as playable as the original.

--Larry