Re: (no subject)

The mplayer-users list usually requires that you use the latest svn MPlayer.

I hate this attitude.

It is extremely difficult for anyone who isn't a software engineer to "use latest SVN". The link to ubuntuforums.org gives a long, highly complex sequence of instructions which, and let's not bullshit, almost invariably require customisation in the vast majority of circumstances. Making these changes will be beyond anyone who isn't intimately familiar with package management, makefiles, GCC, and the C language itself, as well as the specifics of all these things as they pertain to mplayer and its installation.

My feeling is that the people who develop and support mplayer (along with a lot of other opensource programs) know this, and use it as a foil to simply avoid giving any support; it's easy to get the impression that the attitude here is simply that the developers consider themselves - inaccurately - to be an intellectual elite, and it's quite simply beneath them to communicate with the user proletariat until said proles have somehow proven themselves, effectively by becoming another software engineer. I fully appreciate why people don't like supporting outdated software; I've done it myself, but this constant demand to do something that you must reasonably know is difficult or impossible is entirely unreasonable.

It is rarely if ever as simple as typing "make && make install", much as some people like to pretend that it is. Since this list is called "mplayer-users" (not "mplayer-developer", or "intermediate-software-engineering"), can I suggest that a more flexible approach would be appropriate? Jaunty is recent enough that changes since then should be well known, and their application to the user's problem easily determined.