From: Oliver Seitz <info@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  tips and tricks to play dvds
To: olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx, "MPlayer usage questions, feature requests, bug reports" <mplayer-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, April 17, 2009, 9:46 PM
Dear fellow mplayer users,

I have mplayer installed on several computers.  There
are some movies
which one has to try out and exhaust the numbers
$ mplayer dvd://x
where x is a number starting from 1 and forward.  The
main movie might be
like at 10 and I have to scan all the way to 10 find
the main movie.  Is
there a magical number that one can use so that
mplayer finds the main
movie and start playing it, without going through the
previews one by one?
Does there exist such an option?
I know that one can use mplayer dvdnav:// and if the
movie has a menu and
one has compiled a newer version of mplayer via svn,
we can see the menus,
but clicking on it does no good.  This only works
while using
gnome-mplayer :), but when it is not available(did not
install it on that
particular machine), I fall back to command line
mplayer and finding the
main movie takes a while.  Is there a quick hack or do
I have to try out
one by one?

Thanks,

Antonio
Some questions already have answers, and google knows some
of them :-)

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2009-March/076152.html

Greets,
Kiste

Thanks Kiste and Jimmy for answering. The following mplayer dvd://$(mplayer dvd:// -identify -frames 0 |grep ID_DVD_TITLE |grep LENGTH |sort -n -t = -k 2 |tail -1 |cut -f 4 -d _) obtained from above page did the trick. Now I'll need to create a script to call mplayer and avoid the menus and previews which take long and instead watch the movie.
Regards,

Antonio