Re: BUG: long file names with Japanese characters

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:33:38PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:> > For example, the file I have is: (TV) [ドラマ] ブラッディ・マンデイ 第01話 「日本最後の日!1> > 人の命か!?千万人の命か!?最凶ウイルステロの陰謀と伝説の天才ハッカ—の闘いがいよいよ今夜はじまる!!」 (1280x720> > DivX684).avi> > I copied one of my existing video files to that filename (on an NTFS> filesystem created for the purpose), and it plays just fine in MPlayer> from the command line
This is _only_ an issue on Windows, and it is several issues.1) the maximum command-line length on Windows i rather small (though isomewhat doubt that is an issue.2) Windows designers thought it intelligent to use UTF-16 (UCS-2orignally), thus those Japanese characters can not be passed to MPlayervia the normal main() arguments but you must call a special function.Since MPlayer cannot and will not use UTF-16 internally, you'd then haveto convert them to UTF-8.3) Then the same issue exists with the file-open functions, you can notuse UTF-8 there, thus you can not use the same functions, so you have touse different functions to open the files in any place where you want tosupport non-ASCII.4) In order to avoid all that mess which is somewhat hard to implementin MPlayer cleanly (though mostly the problem is that nobody cares), Ithink SMPlayer might try to use the short (8.3) name. This has twoissues: subtitles are not found, since their short name does not relateexactly to the short name of the movie, plus I think Vista no longercreates short names by default._______________________________________________MPlayer-users mailing listMPlayer-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/listinfo/mplayer-users